6/05/2016

Writer Ketchup! What We've [Not] Done So Far! [Writing]

As I previously mentioned, The PUBlishers met a few times with the common interest of trying to write/ getting into the habit of writing.

Meeting One (January 29th):


Pulling from Writing From the Bones, I provided "fun" coiled notebooks. Goldman recommends writing by hand, but this book was written in 1986 when we actually used to do that. According to Goldman (apparently the queen of those that can't do, teach) get a fun notebook and a smooth-writing pen, as writing by hand connects one to THE SOUL. Many of us in 2016 have our souls plugged in to various electronic devices via USB cords. I find writing by hand difficult but worthwhile, but can just as easily type this gold on my laptop.


Our goal before our next monthly meet up? To write 20 minutes A DAY. Some of us made a valid effort, and by some of us, I mean my cousin, but Blair did an awesome short story about how he schooled some East Indian coworkers on how to eat spicy food. Oh, did I forget to mention that if your wife starts a writing club you're automatically a member? Check your wedding contracts, people.

Before the next meeting I sent this e-mail, which I'm including out of laziness:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Actual Email written on actual laptop 02/23/16]

Hello dearies!!

So, if you’re like me, S, and Blair, you probably haven’t written much, if at all. That’s ok. We are percolating our stories (I’m coining that phrase, and I WILL sue). We’re mulling, and that totally counts.

Last month, even though it sounded pretty easy/ straight-forward, it turns out that writing 20 mins a day was WAY harder than we thought!! I can’t even get my sh*t together to sweep the kitchen floor, let alone write FROM MY SOUL!!! (I did blog a wee bit, if you’re interested! www.spinningjennysbookblog.blogspot.ca)

So today I sat down with the Natalie Goldberg book (Writing Down the Bones) and had a better idea. I’m going to share some of her insights on Friday, but I highly recommend you get this book yourself, as it’s wicked awesome and I love her. LOVE.

"My"/ her ideas for Friday, February 26th, 2016:

Sometime this week (bf Friday) you need to sit down and write for 20 minutes. And then BRING IT ON FRIDAY. You totes don’t need to share if you don’t want to, because it could be a little personal/ raw.

Here are the (Goldberg) RULES for TIMED WRITING:

1. Keep your hand moving! (No self-correcting/ editing.)
2. Don’t cross out, EVEN if you didn’t mean to write what you did.
3. Don’t worry about spelling, grammar, punctuation
4. Lose control
5. Don’t think. Don’t get logical.
6. Go for the jugular. [“Something that is ‘scary’ or ‘naked’ probably has a good energy.”]

And  you just need to do it once. For now. Just to experience “first thought” writing (I’ll tell you more on Friday).*

Thanks, peeps.

Hope you are well! See you Soooooon!!!!!

Jen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

* So the "first thought writing" is exactly what it sounds like. You just write for 20 minutes without editing, correcting spelling, etc. She says not to even cross anything out because you don't want to limit yourself... or something...

Meeting Two: (February 26)


Our actual meet-up was just me, Blair and LM, and we had an awesome discussion about personal prejudices in writing, and how to acknowledge them. [I was/ am wanting to do some interviewing for a writing project that I'm percolating, and asked for advice on not offending my subjects. Which Blair said was most likely impossible, and to just be honest and to put on my writer/ journalist hat so as to be objective. But Blair also doesn't mind offending anyone. Ever. He's one of them honest fell'ers.] LM fell off the wagon when she went to visit her sister/ niece & nephew, but before that she found a recurring theme coming out in her 20 minute writings that she was going to percolate on.

Ok! So if you want to try this idea of free-base writing (coining that one, too!), give it a try! I MAY have over-bought on notebooks if you'd like one. Btw, writing for 20 minutes by hand will give you a gimpy, claw-like hand that is only attractive to other writers. And that nub on your finger will come back from your school-days. Schmexy.

Ultimate Goal: To get in the habit of writing 20 minutes a day. Literally set a timer. Also, maybe find a certain time of day that works best. (e.g. before you crash in front of the TV after work, etc.). 

Good luck! And gods bless.
~ Spinning Jenny,  
Molder of Minds, 
or Mulder of Minds of you think I'm too "out there!" Ha! Get it!? (This gold really does just write itself!!!)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments Welcomed and Cherished