6/09/2017

More Than One Way To Skin a Chicken! (WEEK TWO!!)

day 9:

Even though I'm feeling really great, and have been enjoying the food we're cooking, I'll admit that today I looked in the fridge for lunch and thought, "I have no effing idea what to cook." So I was a tad lazy and just had my leftover steak from last night. Which turned out to be not-so-bad, as I hadn't CLOSELY read my Paleo slow cooker recipe which asks for a whole chicken (I can do that!) that you need to SKIN before stuffing and slow cooking.


Now, I'm getting more confident in the kitchen, and am willing to make some mistakes, but for the love of all things holy! Part of the reason I was a vegetarian is because I don't like handling raw meat (insert Ty joke here... insert Jay joke there after Ty's joke...) and that's also the reason I don't cook often. Because MEAT IS GROSS. It tastes wonderful (especially when cooked by others), but I don't like how we obtain it as a society in general. Also, while we would LOVE to eat grass-fed organic blur-blur-blerg, it's SO EXPENSIVE! But even after all THAT is said and done, there's still an anatomy question. Different cuts. Handling. Blech.

I had 2 choices: a) wait for Blair to get home and eat dinner at 10pm when it finished cooking, or b) put on my big girl panties and get it DONE. What would YOU do, fair reader?



...

...

...

So this happened:
Any cooks out there are probably saying, "see? It wasn't so bad!" And I say, oh no. It was. It was THE WORST THING EVER. I was glad I had been lazy and not had my full whole30-meal-deal, as my stomach was turning and churning. I think I did kinda zone into a more scientific approach at one point (this being my first time dissecting ANYTHING as I made my lab partner do the "pig heart" and "sheep eye" for Bio 20 & 30 respectively).



I would love this to be a real picture from America's Next Top Model. "Give me 'intense sloth!' Beautiful!"



Obviously I didn't close my eyes, but was a tad out-of-body, if you will. Maybe my grandmother's spirit was helping guide my double-plastic-gloved hands. But I did it! *crowd cheering* And was it worth it??

NO!!  

After 5 hours in the ol' cooker it tasted absolutely like nothing. Or, as Blair pointed out, it tasted like... chicken. Or alligator. Rattlesnake? Had a nice spicy broth after, though! Frack. I can think of way better ways to spend my afternoon!!!





Basically what I'm trying to say is that my Whole30 experience has not all been cranberries and roses (what "saying" am I trying to say? Too tired to care.)

I am not giving up!! Blair and I are taking it one day at a time (while planning 3 days ahead) and just doing our best.

In Entertainment News:

We are re-watching Friends on Netflix and I'm laughing out loud. When it was good it was SO GOOD! I think I may give Seinfeld another chance as well. (Gasp! I KNOW! I didn't worship Seinfeld when it was on and I don't deserve to be part of this nation. Nay. This HEMISPHERE.)

As I write this I'm listening to Chris Cornell/ Audioslave and tearing up, so it's definitely time to go to bed.

Adieu!
~ Writing Jenny

Btw: I'm imagining you eating some form of sugar or gluten as you read this and I'm very happy for you! Oh, I know "poison" yadda yadda, but seriously. Have a Tim's doughnut in my honour, if you would! Ooh! Or ice cream. Ya. On pizza. And drink a Coke using a Twizzler as a straw. Because I'm 12.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments Welcomed and Cherished